Thursday, February 20, 2014

Josie & The Pussycats

Tonight's movie was Josie & The Pussycats. I've actually seen it before many times, but I wanted to write a review of it anyway. Originally released in 2001, in my mid twenties, I initially went to see it because of the girls. Tara Reid is cute; Rosario Dawson is absolutely beautiful, not only in this but in many other films; and Rachael Leigh Cook was amazing. I've always had a thing for her. Her skin looks really soft and she has the biggest most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. I've followed her career since she was 18. She has mystique; a beauty that escapes most women. but there's an even greater inner beauty that shines through whenever she's on screen. So rare.

IMDb gives this film 5.3 stars, but I'd put it at around 7. This is another example of a movie with a weak plot but is totally driven by its music and cuteness factor and an all around good time to watch. Like in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, the tunes are easily very catchy early on.

The beginning of the film is hilarious with Seth Green and Brechin Meyer, part of the band Dujour, dancing around in their ridiculous get-ups, poorly lip-syncing to their own music. The name of the song itself was a gag; "Backdoor Lover," and the dance was to die for.

The story was about the music industry inserting subliminal messages in music, but also a satire about how anyone who is attractive can become a rock star, that talent is irrelevant and unnecessary. The film was full of sight and dialogue gags. Everywhere they went, every scene, every close-up, every angle, had a product placement. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen more product placement in anything. And not just a few brands, tons of brands, tons of products, labels were everywhere.

Besides the "Backdoor Lover" song title, I think my favorite dialogue gag was when Alexander Cabot III asks why Alexandra Cabot (his sister) is here.

Alexander:  "You know what? I still don't know why you're here"

Alexandra:  "I'm here because I was in the comic."

Alesander:  "What?..."

And it went no further than that. This joke will blow past everyone who didn't know that "Josie and the Pussycats" started out as a comic book published from 1963 - 1982 before it was adapted to a Saturday morning cartoon in 1970 by Hanna Barberra.

Later Wyatt says to the girls just before getting into the limousine: "wouldn't you want to read a comic book, or watch a cartoon or go to a movie about those girls..." The irony being that you are (or were) sitting in a movie theater watching the evolution of the Josie concept. Or something to that effect. So again, they put the history out there. Not everybody gets it. But I do, most of the time.

I didn't like the movie the first time I saw it back in 2001, But I love it now, and will watch it over and over, it makes me laugh. All I can say is that it grew on me. But I think most audiences will think it's not for them.

As I said before, I loved the music. Rachael Leigh Cook can really sing. And most people don't know, but that's actually her slamming on the guitar in all those songs.




Gotta add the music video, because it's cute. The song is called "Three Small Words." I don't have the soundtrack, and it's not on Spotify. I was able to get only a part of this song years ago during the Napster days. More of their videos are on YouTube. So here goes the whole thing. Have fun.