Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Usually when I write a movie review, I save my opinion until the end, but I'm gonna come right out and say that I loved this film! Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig were awesome. I rented it onDemand twice. Just about every movie rental on Comcast is a "2-day rental," but not this one. This one particular movie you had to rent it twice if you wanted to see it twice (within a 24 hour window). But, I will say, money well spent. I bought a copy, and have put it to good use.

I have a vague memory of either reading the book or or seeing the original 1947 movie when in grade school, but I really don't remember much.

I really liked the story of a daydreamer, because I myself am a daydreamer. I also, unfortunately, have really no great stories of accomplishment in my life, at least from my point of view. I have a long list of things I would like to do, things I would like to be, but can't because of money and time and all, money mostly. So the story of Walter Mitty going on an epic adventure to find a film negative was extremely appealing to me. Like everyone, I sometimes find myself wishing for another life, a better life, one of adventure and fun. It is my dream to be a world traveler. I often find myself living vicariously through others. I see others' posts of their weddings, families and vacations on facebook and I want to puke. But I can honestly say that I would easily give up being married, having a family and all, to be able to be a world traveler; to be able to see all the wonderful places I studied in college in Europe, and other wonderful places I know nothing about. Just adventure. 

I loved the LIFE motto:  

TO SEE THE WORLD, THINGS DANGEROUS TO COME TO, TO SEE BEHIND WALLS, TO DRAW CLOSER, TO FIND EACH OTHER AND TO FEEL. THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF LIFE. - James Thurber 




The story starts out with LIFE Magazine producing their last issue. (Any magazine producing their last issue is a sore subject for me. I can't stand that everyone seems to want to read everything on their iPads and smartphones these days. I like the tactile feel of a publication; flipping through the pages; the smell of the paper and ink, etc.) Walter Mitty is tasked with producing a photograph from an actual negative for the final cover. But he misplaces it and has to go on a world adventure to track down the photographer who took it. 

The story here is not the missing negative, nor a shy man's inept attempt at connecting with a woman he works with via eHarmony. The story is his journey. The story is about Walter Mitty taking that first step. And though I tend to editorialize every movie review I do (it's MY blog), I will say that it seems that Hollywood is more about box office dollars lately than it is about touching people. This movie touched me because I related to Walter Mitty. The film opens with a shot of him in his tiny one bedroom apartment, alone. Fussing with his finances. 43 years old, never married, lives alone. Not exactly Tony Stark. But such potential. This movie made me realize that you're never too old to try something new. You're never too old for love. You're never too old for adventure. And this is why it is a "magic movie.'