Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Magic Movies

If you follow my website, you know how much I love movies. I love watching them over and over; I love writing about them; I love talking about them.

Everybody has their favorites:  movies that they can watch over and over and never get sick of them. Traditionally mine have included epic trilogies such as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Matrix, The Alien Saga, The Terminator Saga. OK, I'm a Sci-Fi geek; always have been, always will be. A tiger can't change it's stripes. But my tastes aren't limited to one genre. I've always liked such award winning films as The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, and Schindler's List.

But it wasn't until I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World for the first time that I noticed that the film made me feel something. Almost like an emotional impact, like I was part of the action. I'll be the first to admit, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is really stupid. But it was the combination of the action, comedy, music, and unexpected depth of characters that pulled me in. I bought the Blu-Ray, the soundtrack and the score. Once I realized what was going on, I couldn't get enough of it. This one silly little movie, that most people my age unanimously agree is not even worth reading the jacket, had a profound effect on me, and it's never lost it's power. It is, quintessentially, a "feel good" movie, a "magic" movie.

Well, since then, I have noticed a number of movies have similar effects on me. Not all of them are comedies. Some are downright stupid. But they all have that ability to draw me in, to make me forget about what is currently stressing me out, and relax. Almost like a dream.

So I've compiled a list of "Magic Movies" that I'll occasionally pull from when I want to just chill out and not think for a while.


Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
21 Jump Street
Josie and the Pussycats
13 Going On 30
The Lonely Bones
The Hunger Games
Twilight Saga
She’s All That
John Carter
Cloud Atlas
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Life Aquatic:  With Steve Zissou
Guardians of the Galaxy


Don't judge me. Some work better than others. Like for example, Scott Pilgrim and John Carter work the best. And I just can't get sick of 21 Jump Street, but others take some time to build up the effect while others lose their luster. There have been films that almost did it, and films that lost it. All in all, it's a matter of personal taste. Some of this doesn't even make sense. Everybody should find their magic movies.